This article is the first in a series of upcoming “True Answered Prayer” stories. Because…stories like this need to be told.
Tammy is in her element when she’s cooking, and she’s very talented at making delicious food. Having worked at Cracker Barrell, she can you tell you all about how those chicken and dumplin’s are made. 😋
Read Tammy’s answers below to find out how God answered her prayer!
What are we talking about?
- The story behind one of my answered prayers.
When did this happen?
- Around 2006-ish. I was in my 40’s at the time, maybe 44 or 45. At the time, my husband had been laid off and was on disability. I was never sure how things would go once I got home…
Where did this happen?
- Flagstaff, Arizona
Why did you pray?
- Each day as the time came closer for me to leave work, I would start to feel the dread of going home because I knew that my husband and I were going to argue. I would be like, “Ugh, it’s time to go home, God…”
What was your prayer?
- My prayer was that God would intervene so that my husband and I would get along and not argue.
How was your prayer answered?
- When I would turn on the Christian radio station (K-LOVE), my favorite song of all time would come on. That song is “Here With Me” by MercyMe. God would always meet me right where I was.
In that moment, I would know without a doubt that God was with me and that He had heard me.
What would happen when the song started playing?
- The drive home would be filled with tears – tears of joy and gratitude because through that experience, God showed me how much He loves me.
No matter what time I got done with work, that song would always come on. And I wasn’t always done with work at the same time, either, I could finish anywhere between 2 & 5pm.
Sometimes when I got home, I would still be crying my eyes out. I would then go straight to my room to pray and continue to worship God.
My family knew that if my bedroom door was closed, it was because I was spending time with God.
What would happen when you got home?
- The end result was that my husband and I did not argue.
What happened next in this story?
- The event of the song coming on the radio while I was driving home went on for a number of months.
It was like I came to expect the song to start playing when I got in the car, it was my safe haven. As I would be leaving work, I would be thinking, “Okay, I’m out of here, I have a date with God!”
When I found out who sang the “Here With Me” song, I immediately purchased the album because I wanted to be able to play that song at home at any time.
Did your husband notice a change?
- Yes, my husband commented on me being different and going to my room to pray after work. He noticed that, besides not arguing when I got home from work, our arguing in general decreased.
How did this experience affect you?
- It touched my heart. I just couldn’t believe it, it blew my mind! That was God.
I don’t believe in coincidences. God knew I was trying my best – trying my best to live for Him, trying my best at my job, etc. What He did drew me closer to Him.
How/why did this draw you closer to God?
- It drew me closer to Him because I knew He was reaching out to me. I look back at that time and I thank God for taking care of my emotions.
Nothing like that had ever happened to me before, I just felt a real closeness and a drawing in from God because He heard my heart’s cry.
The memory of that time really stands out in my mind. It was special.
What would your advice be for someone who is in a similar situation? Maybe someone is dreading something and/or is feeling hopeless…
- I would encourage someone facing verbal abuse to pray and trust God to work it out because He will. Sometimes we just need to walk away to let things cool off.
However, if a person is being physically assaulted, they need to get out and call for help from the police.
It’s obvious that you’re very passionate about prayer. Could you share more about that?
- Sure! I keep a prayer journal. When a prayer is answered, I go back and find that prayer in one of my journals, and I add the date the prayer was answered and how the prayer was answered.
It is very encouraging (and a good reminder since we, as people, tend to be forgetful sometimes) to be able to look through these journals and see the many prayers that have been answered!
As we saw in this true story, God sometimes answers prayer in unexpected and surprising ways! We don’t know how He will show up or when we’ll receive the answer to our prayer, but we can know without a doubt that there will be an answer.
1 John 5:14-15 says, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us – whatever we ask – we know that we have what we asked of Him.”
Tammy is from New Iberia, Louisiana. She is a mother of two grown children, she has a heart for prayer, she loves to cook, and she has a Maltese poodle mix named Remington (Remi for short).
She would love to see more unity in the community, along with home churches throughout the community, thus bringing restoration to the city and state. She sees this starting to happen through the Lil’ Brooklyn Neighborhood Initiative project and other things going on in New Iberia.
Some of Tammy’s Favorite Bible Verses
One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple.
…but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31 (Tammy has something to share about this verse!)
But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (Tammy has something to share about this verse, too!)
God is Always There: Tammy’s Story
I’d love to hear from you! Please leave a comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you, and it is my prayer that you have a very blessed day! ❤
You may also like:
God Can Do Anything: Millie’s Story
Elvis Presley: God is My Refuge
Prayers for Strength & Hope
Little Prayers Have Great Benefits: Gayle’s Story
Eyes That See: Original Poem by Gayle Baxter
Prayer for Someone Going Through a Hard Time
Psalms for Anxiety – The Ultimate List!
List of Essential Things to Learn about Prayer
Psalm 91 Prayer – Dynamic Prayer of Safety
To visit the Lil’ Brooklyn Neighborhood Initiative page, click here: Facebook
Here is a video of “Here With Me,” the song that God used to touch Tammy’s heart.